Striving To Resolve Tax Collection Issues On Favorable Terms
The IRS wields extraordinary powers when attempting to collect delinquent taxes. These include the power to place a lien on your property, levy your bank accounts and even seize your assets. If the IRS has assessed unpaid taxes and is threatening these or other actions, such as the suspension of your New York state driver’s license or the removal of your international travel rights through passport revocation, it is critical to align yourself with skilled legal counsel.
For decades, the law firm of Goldburd McCone LLP has been a strong resource for individual and business taxpayers across New York City and beyond. A substantial portion of our full-service tax practice involves defending taxpayers facing serious tax collection challenges, including IRS-imposed civil and criminal penalties for failing to file delinquent returns.
The IRS Is Not Infallible
The IRS can miscalculate tax debts, rely on incorrect legal theories or make other mistakes. As your attorneys, we will carefully investigate your case to determine your actual tax debt, if any exists. We will then argue your case to the IRS and even the United States Tax Court if necessary.
Over our firm’s history, our lawyers have shown the IRS that it has made assessments in error or that it overstated, sometimes dramatically, the amount of taxes actually owed. Through our efforts, the IRS has withdrawn tax liens and refunded money it had levied. You can view our Success Stories page to see examples of our work. Even if you do owe taxes, we can work with the IRS to find alternatives to liens, seizures and levies.
Our attorneys can help you address any tax controversy or related legal action, including:
- Installment agreements: A plan to repay tax debts over time without additional penalties and interest
- Settlement or offer in compromise: Negotiating with the IRS to resolve arrears or a disputed tax assessment
- Penalty abatement or elimination: Reducing penalties and interest that can double the underlying tax debt
- Innocent spouse relief: Severing the joint liability for tax fraud or tax debts incurred by a (former) spouse
- Discharging tax liability through bankruptcy: Identifying older income tax debts that can be forgiven under Chapter 7
- Settlements through tax bankruptcy: Arrangements to pay nondischargeable taxes, as through a Chapter 13 payment plan
- Filing delinquent tax returns: Coming into compliance without incurring major penalties
- Tax evasion: Voluntary disclosure and other proactive measures to address tax fraud or failure to file
- Release of liens, levies and other seizures: Upon satisfying the debt or obtaining a subordination or withdrawal of the lien or levy
- Responsible persons assessment: Resolving a trust fund recovery penalty (TFRP) assessment by the IRS against individual owners of a business
- Passport suspension: Working with the IRS to renew or “unfreeze” your passport if you owe a large tax debt
- NYS license suspension: Working with the New York Department of Taxation and Finance to regain your driver’s license after it was suspended for tax debts
- Payroll tax issues: Appeals and negotiations relating to disputes over corporate withholding taxes
We routinely help individuals and business owners deal with these matters. Our depth of experience and knowledge means that we can give you every opportunity to achieve a successful outcome.
Providing Holistic Tax Representation
In addition to helping you resolve your current tax situation, we want to help you make wise tax decisions moving forward. We are counselors in every sense of the word and want to give you the information you need to avoid future entanglements with the IRS.
Our firm can empower you to protect yourself from identity theft and fraud protection. Should the IRS select you for an audit, our representation can significantly minimize your liability and penalties.
Contact Us For Your Free Case Evaluation
Your first step to resolving your tax issues begins with a phone call. Call 212-235-1817 or complete our email form to begin.