Taking On The Full Range Of Tax Matters
Our services include:
- IRS audits: We guide businesses, individuals and nonprofit organizations through the audit process.
- International tax law concerns: Our lawyers address all matters involving foreign bank account reports (FBAR), the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and other international tax planning and controversies for both U.S. citizens and foreign nationals.
- Tax collection matters: When the IRS has erroneously assessed delinquent tax debts, we protest the assessment and show how much, if any, taxes are owed. For clients with delinquent tax debts, we work to create installment agreements, offers in compromise and other arrangements.
- Criminal tax allegations: Our lawyers vigorously defend clients facing indictment or allegations of failure to file, tax fraud and other charges.
- Business mergers and acquisitions: Leveraging our tax law acumen and general counsel experience, we negotiate on behalf of retiring or existing business owners engaged in a merger or acquisition from a position of intellectual agility and strength.
- Tax structuring: We help both startups and established companies create compensation and stock plans that minimize potential tax impacts.
- Not-for-profit and tax-exempt organizations: Our attorneys have a full command of the unique tax concerns facing nonprofit agencies.
Our first objective in any tax controversy is to help our clients resolve their underlying dispute with a tax agency on the best possible terms. You can rely on us to devote the time and energy necessary to develop strong arguments in support of your position.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tax Law Representation And Our Nationwide Practice
A large part of what we do at Goldburd McCone LLP is to help new and long-held clients sort out the right way to resolve tax issues. Following are some concerns we often address in consultations with our clients in New York, New Jersey, California, Florida and nationwide.
When Should You Hire A U.S. Tax Law Attorney?
Anytime your tax questions involve tax law, such as with interstate commerce or federal income tax, these are strong indicators that you need a lawyer whose practice encompasses a nationwide scope. A U.S. tax attorney is also an excellent choice for ensuring regulatory compliance having to do with any nationwide or international aspects of taxes.
The Benefits Of Dealing With A U.S. Tax Law Attorney Versus A CPA
We do not urge clients to replace their certified public accountants (CPAs) with tax lawyers. Rather, we discover and highlight areas of business operations that leave owners or managers open to accusations of tax violations. Many of our clients routinely hire CPAs while also keeping tax law attorneys on call. That way, when an accounting issue needs attention, the CPA is ready, and the same goes for tax withholding, returns and other business areas involving taxation. Our clients’ CPAs themselves often alert their clients of the need to get a U.S. tax attorney involved in resolving an issue.
What Can You Expect In A Federal Tax Litigation Case?
The litigation may be civil or criminal in nature, as follows:
- In a civil case, you or your business may be accused of offenses such as the omission of reporting all income in income tax filings or sales tax submissions.
- In a criminal case, there may be allegations of fraud, conspiracy, money laundering, RICO violations, perjury or bribery.
In either a civil or criminal case, you may have opportunities to resolve disputes without a trial. You may be able to fast-track appeals of portions of your case that remain in dispute even after settlement discussions.
Before or during a trial before a judge, your attorney may present evidence that your failures to comply with tax rules were not willful or were the fault of an accountant or someone else. Even if the evidence points to your liability in a civil case or guilt in a criminal case, you will likely have the opportunity to resolve the case with a plea agreement.
How The U.S. Tax Lawyers At Goldburd McCone LLP Will Work To Defend Your Rights
Our attorneys are experienced in representing clients before the IRS and the United States Department of Justice. We can represent you during audits and investigations to protect you from exposure to unwarranted civil liability or criminal penalties.
If you are approaching litigation, we will help determine whether the IRS or another government agency is acting within established legal parameters. We will help negotiate for a fast-track settlement or represent you in mediation or arbitration if appropriate.
Can You Use An Attorney Located In Another State For Your Tax Law Matters?
When your legal concerns have to do with federal taxation, the answer is clearly yes. Furthermore, when you work with Goldburd McCone LLP, you have the reassurance of knowing that from our offices in several states, we counsel clients throughout the U.S.
Also, we have cultivated ties with numerous law firms in other jurisdictions over the 40 years that our firm has been in practice. For any case in which you would also need the involvement of a local attorney, we will quickly let you know and/or offer to collaborate with a lawyer in your state.
We also have office locations in multiple states for your convenience — including New Jersey, California and Florida.
Get In Touch With Our Tax Law Firm
At Goldburd McCone LLP, we strive to help our clients make informed, educated decisions about taxes now and in the future. In short, we want to solve our clients’ current tax problems while helping them avoid new problems.
We offer a case evaluation to discuss your situation in detail. From office locations in Manhattan, Long Island, Rockland County, New Jersey, Los Angeles and Florida, we serve clients nationwide. Call our law firm at 212-235-1817 or toll-free at 866-712-9505. You may also complete our online contact form to get started.