Goldburd | Goldburd McCone LLP

For nationwide tax guidance, call:
212-235-1537 or toll-free at 866-712-9505.

Goldburd | Goldburd McCone LLP

For nationwide tax guidance, call: 212-302-9400 or toll-free at 844-653-2873.

Serving Individual And Corporate Tax Clients Nationwide From Our New York, New Jersey, Florida And California Offices

Steven Goldburd and Benjamin A Goldburd

Since 1983, our tax firm has skillfully represented individuals and corporations across the United States and around the globe from our offices in New York, New Jersey, California and Florida.

Earn over $100,000? The IRS is reviewing your returns.

On Behalf of | Mar 6, 2020 | Tax Audits, Tax Collection

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) recently announced it will take a closer look at tax returns for those who earn over $100,000. The agency’s efforts will focus on those who the agency believes has wrongly failed to file a tax return. The agency stated those in this situation should know it is “aggressively pursuing” the matter and expects taxpayer to meet their filing and payment obligations.

How aggressive are the agency’s attempts?

At this time, it appears the agency is set to conduct approximately 800 in-person investigations over the next eight weeks. It is important to note the appearance of an IRS agent on your doorstep should not come as a surprise. The agency has stated it will only pursue field investigations for those who have failed to respond to multiple IRS mailings.

Although IRS field agents can investigate tax compliance, they cannot arrest the taxpayer. These agents are instructed to provide information on tax obligations and encourage compliance without the use of threats. If the individual stating they are an agent uses threats or demands immediate payment, taxpayers are wise to call authorities. The individual may be a fraud posing as a field agent.

What if I failed to file my tax returns?

It is important to comply with applicable tax laws. This includes reporting income and filing tax returns on an annual basis. If you failed to meet this obligation, it may be wise to seek legal counsel. An attorney experienced in tax law can review your situation and discuss the best options for compliance. This can include an analysis of the potential ramifications for previous failures to file.

What if I cannot pay my tax bill?

There are options. Those who cannot pay their tax bill can use a payment plan, offer in compromise or request the agency temporarily delay collection efforts.

Taxpayers navigating these situations can seek legal counsel. The attorneys at Goldburd McCone are experienced in these issues and can provide guidance to better ensure your legal rights are protected.