Managing The Tax Status Of Not For Profit & Tax Exempt Organizations
At the core of every nonprofit organization is its adherence to the code. At the core of Goldburd McCone LLP is an understanding of that code. The Internal Revenue Code controls every not-for-profit; how they operate, how services may be delivered, the reach of the social benefits it can create and the community good it can achieve. Adherence to the code is crucial to an organization’s success and to its overall mission. The complexities involved require effective and tax-intelligent management and not just an understanding of the compliance issues applicable to tax-exempt nonprofits, but a mastery of them.
Our goal is to empower nonprofit organizations with tax knowledge from formation through growth, expansion and beyond. While reverence to compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations is paramount, we also counsel on best practices in governance and strategies for engaging in activities that generate revenue. We work hand in hand with board membership to cement their fiduciary duties so they can steer the course of their organizations.
- Formation and obtaining government clearance for tax exemption
- Bylaws and governance
- Compliance program creation
- Executive compensation
- Fiduciary training
- For-profit subsidiaries/affiliations
- Unrelated business income tax
- Excess benefit transactions, private inurement and private benefit compliance
- Operational matters, including negotiating and drafting contracts
- Exemption from state and local real property tax, income tax, and sales and use tax
- Review of annual filings, including IRS Forms 990 and 990-PF
- Audits, investigations and proceedings by the IRS, state attorneys general and other government bodies
- Conversions to taxable and tax-exempt status
For assistance managing the tax implications of your not for profit or tax exempt organization, contact Goldburd McCone LLP at our office in Manhattan for a free consultation. Call 212-235-1817 or send an email now.